Welcome! So you’ve found my blog. Getaway with Amy had been brewing in my mind for months – every time I went abroad, I thought about starting a travel blog and writing about my adventures but I never got round to it. So, what made me change my mind this time?
(In case you hadn’t realised, I haven’t perfected my ‘selfie’ smile)
I’m finally going to travel by myself. I’ve always wanted to do it but never had the guts, so always ended up going away with friends or family. But not this time! I think, being introverted and quite shy, that this will (hopefully!) be a good thing for me – it’ll get me out of my comfort zone and make me stop relying on others. Admittedly, even though I’m not going anywhere daring for my first time (but I love Italy all the same!), I hope to eventually work my way up to more adventurous places (but it’ll probably take a lot of time and money before that can happen!).
So, here’s ten facts about me:
- My name is Amy, I’m 25 and I live in the North East of Scotland in the middle of nowhere.
- I’ve almost finished an apprenticeship in the Oil and Gas industry but, if I’m being honest, I’ve still no idea what I want to do career-wise.
- I have OCD. It’s probably only mild but, for me, it’s huge. I’m the type of person that rehearses a conversation in their head weeks in advance and, if it doesn’t go to plan, I panic like mad. I’m hoping travelling by myself will help me tone down my OCD a little bit.
- I moved out of my parents’ house just before I turned 18 for university and college, before moving back in a couple of years ago. Apprenticeships are not good for your purse but it’s nice not having to pay any bills. Although, I would like to save enough to move out properly 🙂
- I can’t sit still. I constantly fidget, and, when I’m watching films, I need to have something to keep me occupied, like my laptop, or I fidget even more. Seriously, don’t get me started on watching long films in the cinema…
- Saying that, I love watching black comedies, especially British ones. A couple of my favourite television series are Green Wing, Black Books and the American version of The Office.
- I am probably a crazy cat lady. I mean, I only have two, but I’m the kind of person who talks to them in baby-talk without thinking and, if I’m out and about and I see a cat, I will probably stop what I’m doing and try and make new cat-friends. Screw people!
- My hobbies include swimming, playing piano, travelling (when I can!), reading, photography and seeing my friends.
- My niece was born just over three months ago and, even though I’m supposed to be saving to travel (and move out!), if I go into a shop and happen to walk past the baby section, I will, more often than not, walk out with a new outfit or toy for her.
- My dream is to one day travel the world (which sounds very cliche but it’s true).
And here’s ten facts about why I want to travel:
- I want to meet new people and make new friends that will hopefully become friends for life.
- I want to get out of my comfort zone and have to rely on myself, instead of the people I’m with. I also have mild OCD, so I’m hoping that travelling alone will help with that.
- I’m quite introverted and shy and I want to change that, so I’m hoping that, by being by myself and having to interact with others, that I will become more confident and outgoing.
- I love experiencing new cultures when I travel, and, by being by myself, I’ll be able to experience them at my own pace.
- Even though there are very pretty areas around me to photograph, I kind of feel like I’ve got used to them, having grown up around them. Travelling will help me get back into photography.
- I want to eventually not have a ‘proper’ job and be able to travel full time. It’d be nice if I could eventually make enough money off of travelling to be able to keep travelling.
- I know if I don’t travel by myself at least once, then I’ll end up regretting it when I’m older and I really don’t want that to happen.
- I want to see all the photos I’ve saved on Pinterest in person. I have seriously bad wanderlust.
- I guess a silly part of me is hoping that I’ll meet someone that I want to be with (a girl can dream!)
- I want to prove to myself (and to others) that I can travel alone. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and I’m determined to do it.
Even though I want to eventually travel the world, I’m going to have to do it in individual trips, at least until I (hopefully) make enough money travelling, that I can do it full time. As I mentioned (very briefly) above, I’m spending my first trip abroad alone in Italy. I’m going to start in Rome and, over the space of two weeks, make my way to Venice.
I’ve read a lot of blogs where people say that the best thing to do is not plan anything, but my OCD won’t let me do that, so (for this trip at least), I’ve pretty much planned everything. My flights, hotels and trains are booked. I haven’t booked any museums or anything (yet) but I’m hoping to wing it a little bit when I’m over there (which for me, is wild, as I’d usually have everything planned. Again, my OCD wants me to have every little detail sorted…).
So! After all my rambling, I’m going to sum up because I’m running out of things to write about (and, I suppose I should keep some content for my other posts!). Basically, this blog is going to be about my travels, which will mostly be by myself. I’m aiming to experience new things, make new friends, and get out of my comfort zone. And this blog will, with any luck, start making me some money!
I hope you enjoy reading about my travels as much as I’m hoping that I will enjoy experiencing them!